The founding aim of the Fundación Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao is the management, preservation, conservation and promotion of the Bilbao Fine Arts Museum which brings together, preserves and display in a universal and multidisciplinary manner old, modern and contemporary art with the principal objective of serving as a resource for the artistic education of society.
The following objectives have consequently been established:
- Conserving, studying and displaying the collection of the Bilbao Fine Arts Museum.
- Promoting the ongoing enrichment of the museum with new elements of high quality and significant interest.
- Organising an internationally significant programme of exhibitions of old, modern and contemporary art with a particular emphasis on Basque creation.
- Contributing to the projection of the image of the city of Bilbao, the province of Bizkaia and the Basque Country.
- Undertaking other complementary activities, the aim of which is the promotion and realisation of exhibitions and lectures; the publication of catalogues, art books and other types of publications; the award of grants and funding for training; and the undertaking of any other similar activities compatible with the museum’s founding aims.
- Facilitating the training of professionals qualified in museum management within the Autonomous Region of the Basque Country.
- Any other aims associated with the above and considered appropriate.
Foundation's statutes (pdf)